- Non drowsy cough medicine
- For dry irritating coughs
Benylin Non-Drowsy Dry Coughs Syrup is a medicine which is used to help relieve dry, irritating coughs. The liquid contains dextromethorphan hydrobromide which is an antitussive to help stop persistent coughing. The medicine is for use in adults and children aged 12 years and over. Always read the label. Ask your pharmacist for advice.
Those aged 12 years and older
Warnings and cautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Benylin Non-Drowsy Dry Coughs Syrup
- If you suffer from liver problems.
- If you have bronchitis, emphysema or asthma or have had a cough for a few weeks or a cough with a lot of mucus (phlegm) .
- If you have alcohol dependence .
- If you have a history of drug abuse .
- If you have been told by your doctor that you are a slow metabolizer of CYP2D6 .
- If you are taking medicines such as certain antidepressants or antipsychotics. Benylin Non-Drowsy Dry Syrup may interact with these medicines and you may experience mental status changes (e.g. agitation, hallucinations, coma), and other effects such as body temperature above 38°C, increase in heart rate, unstable blood pressure, and exaggeration of reflexes, muscular rigidity, lack of coordination and/or gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea)
- If you are taking any other cough and cold medicines . If your child is prone to developing certain allergic reactions (e.g. atopic reactions). Avoid alcoholic drink when taking this medicine.
How to use
Check the table that follows to see how much medicine to take. For oral use only. Do not take more medicine than the label tells you to. Children under 12 years Do not give to children under 12 years old. Adults and children aged 12 years and over Age Dose Adults and children aged 12 years and over Take two 5 ml spoonfuls four times a day. Do not take more than 4 doses in 24 hours. If symptoms persist or worsen, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
The active ingredient in 5 ml of Benylin Non-Drowsy Dry Coughs Syrup is: 7.5 mg Dextromethorphan hydrobromide. Other ingredients are: Sorbitol solution (70%) E420, glycerol, sucrose, liquid glucose, citric acid monohydrate, sodium benzoate (E211), caramel T12 (containing sucrose, glucose and invert sugar), saccharin sodium, imitation peach flavour (containing ethanol & propylene glycol), levomenthol, ethanol (96% v/v), carbomer and purified water.