What is new this year?
As we get older our immune system may not respond to vaccines to the same extent. Therefore, the adjuvanted flu vaccine injection called Fluad Tetra™ is being offered to adults aged 65 years and over this year.
The Fluad Tetra™ flu vaccine contains an adjuvant (ingredient) that will make it more effective. Adjuvants are substances added to vaccines to help generate a greater, broader and longer immune response. Adjuvants have been added to vaccines for many years to improve their effectiveness.
In Fluad Tetra™ the adjuvant used is MF59. MF59 is mainly made from squalene oil – a natural oil found in humans, plants and animals.
This year, intranasal flu vaccine is recommended for children aged 2 to 17 years.
The intramuscular flu vaccine injection will be available to adults aged 18-64 years and to children for whom the intranasal flu vaccine is not clinically appropriate.
Your pharmacist will ask you all the relevant questions to determine which vaccine you are eligibleto receive.
Due to COVID-19 we will only be administering the Flu vaccination to people who have made an appointment.
We have limited numbers available. Please contact your local pharmacy from the list below for more information.
How much does this service cost?
The price of the Flu vaccination varies based on your age and your medical history.
The vaccination service is free of charge for:
All those aged 65 years and over
All those aged 18-64 in an “at-risk” group as specified by the HSE (see details of “at risk” groups provided below)
All children aged 2-17 years.
For adults aged 18-64 years who are not in an "at-risk" group as specified by the HSE, the price for the service is €30
How does the service work in 2021?
This year you should book your appointment either by calling your local LloydsPharmacy or by popping in when next passing to ensure you have a slot allocated.
There is a short questionnaire you need to complete, and it is best that this is done in advance of your flu vaccination. Your local Lloydspharmacy will give you the leaflet to complete in advance or you can download it from our website. It is best this is handed in to the pharmacy in advance of your flu vaccination to reduce the amount of time required in Pharmacy during your Flu vaccination appointment. You can download the form below.
Free from Symptoms
On the day of your appointment if you have symptoms of COVID-19 you MUST cancel or rebook. When you arrive for your appointment you will be asked a short series of questions to confirm that you do not have any symptoms and that you are not a close contact of a confirmed or suspected case.
You should also be on your own when coming for your appointment (unless you are accompanying a child aged under 16) and wear a face covering.
When it comes to preparing for your appointment, you should bring your own pen for any paperwork and wear appropriate clothing for a vaccination to be administered to your upper arm.
Arrive on time
If you arrive too early you may be asked to return closer to your allotted time.
You may be asked to wait in an allocated waiting area to maintain social distancing.
For children getting the vaccination, you should bring something to distract them and talk about face coverings beforehand, so they aren’t unfamiliar on the day.
Speak slowly and clearly
During the appointment you will be asked to speak slowly and clearly when wearing a face covering so the pharmacist has the accurate information needed.
- People aged 65 years and over
- Children aged 2-17 years
- People (adults and children) with long-term medical conditions such as diabetes, chronic heart conditions, liver conditions, kidney conditions and chronic lung disease including COPD, or neurological diseases
- People with cancer
- People whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment
- People who are obese who have a body mass index (BMI) of over 40
- People with Down syndrome
- Residents of nursing homes and other long-stay institutions
- Healthcare workers
- People who live in the same house as someone who is at risk of flu because of a medical condition
- People with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs.
- Your child should not get the intranasal vaccine if they:
- have had a severe allergic reaction to a previous dose of the flu vaccine or any of its ingredients
- have severe asthma or if they have been wheezy or needed their inhaler more than usual in the three days before the vaccination
- are taking medicines called salicylates, which include Aspirin
- have a severely weakened immune system because of certain medical conditions or treatments
- are living with someone who has a severely weakened immune system (for example, a person who recently had a bone marrow transplant)
- If your child cannot get the flu vaccine using a nasal spray (nose spray), your pharmacist will talk to you about giving your child a different flu vaccine, which is given by injection.
- The intranasal vaccine is contraindicated in pregnancy
Once you are happy, the pharmacist will administer the vaccine, this is a quick and relatively painless procedure. Afterwards, you will be asked to remain in the pharmacy for 15 mins to make sure everything went well.
Who should receive the Flu Vaccine?
While everyone should consider getting a flu vaccine, it is especially important that the following groups get vaccinated:
*please speak to your pharmacist for more information
Who should NOT get the vaccine?
Keeping you safe in our pharmacies
During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic we are working hard to ensure that our pharmacists can provide services, care and advice to you safely. Here are some of the things we are doing to keep you safe.
We politely ask you to wear a face covering if you’re using one of our pharmacy services
Our colleagues will be wearing PPE
We’ll be limiting the time you spend with our pharmacists in our consultation room
We’ll clean the consultation room before and after every appointment
We're providing the service in line with the Government guidance on social distancing.
Our colleagues will be wearing PPE.
We will be aiming to limit the time you spend in contact with our pharmacists in our consultation room.
We will clean the consultation room before and after every appointment.
Our other services
Explore our in-store health services