This service is temporarily unavailable in our pharmacies. Covid19 restrictions on services are in place for the safety of our pharmacy colleagues and patients.
Where is this service available?
This service is currently unavailable.
Is your Sore Throat Strep?
Up to 80% of sore throats are caused by viruses, which cannot be treated by antibiotics. However, some are caused by bacterial infection and may require antibiotics to treat. The most common cause of bacterial sore throat is Group A Streptococcus. Sore throats caused by these bacteria are often known as Strep Throat which can lead to further complications if left untreated.
ALL LloydsPharmacy stores now offer a quick and easy sore throat screen to help determine whether your sore throat is Strep.
How does the Sore Throat Service work?
- You will be assessed for the service with an eligibility check.
- We will advise you if your pre-check indicates that a screen is advised, and you will be required to sign a consent form.
- Our trained colleague will then explain the procedure.
- Our trained colleague will perform a Throat Swab screen (approx. 10 mins).
If the result is POSITIVE for Strep A, our trained colleague will refer you to your doctor who will determine if prescription antibiotics are suitable for you.
If the result is NEGATIVE for Strep A, our trained colleague will give you appropriate advice and suggest the best Over the Counter medication to treat your symptoms.
*Please note that this service is only available to customers 18 and over.
What are the Symptoms of Strep Throat?
- Swollen tonsils (two small glands found at the back of your throat), sometimes with white nodules
- Enlarged and tender glands on your neck
- A painful, tender feeling at the back of your throat
- Painful swallowing
Keeping you safe in store
During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic we are working hard to ensure that our pharmacists can provide services, care and advice to you safely. Here are some of the things we are doing to keep you safe.
We're providing the service in line with the Government guidance on social distancing.
Our colleagues will be wearing PPE.
We will be aiming to limit the time you spend in contact with our pharmacists in our consultation room.
We will clean the consultation room before and after every appointment.
Our other services
Explore our in-store health services