Start your journey today
Did you know smoking is the leading cause of avoidable deaths in Ireland with 6,000 people dying each year from the effects of smoking? The statistics are scary but the benefits from quitting are endless. Within 20 minutes of quitting you are already making a difference to your health. After 48 hours nicotine and carbon monoxide are gone from your body. After 2-3 months your lung capacity can increase by up to 30% and after 1 year you have reduced your chance of a heart attack by half.
We’ve put together some guides, advice and support to help you on your smoking cessation journey.
What are the benefits of quitting smoking?
- You may reduce your risk of life-threatening diseases.
- You may improve the air quality in your home, providing a safer environment for you, your family and friends.
- You may help reduce any breathing difficulties you may suffer from.
- You may improve your sense of smell and taste
- You may look and feel healthier
- You’ll save money
- You’ll have cleaner teeth with fresher breath and healthier hair, skin and nails
What can you do to stop smoking?
- Pick a strong reason to quit smoking to keep you motivated
- Pick a quit date and stick to it
- Identify and avoid triggers associated with smoking
- Do regular physical activity as this helps curb the cravings and manage weight
- NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy)
NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) helps to reduce the withdrawal symptoms by giving you a small level of nicotine without the carbon monoxide, tar or other harmful chemicals found in a cigarette. There are a range of NRT’s available in your local LloydsPharmacy including patches, gum, lozenges, inhalers and sprays. Always make sure to chat with your pharmacist for advice on what option would suit you best.
Advice on quitting smoking.
To quit smoking, the first stop should be your pharmacy. Quitting smoking isn’t easy and it’s better to start the journey with the best advice and support.
Every LloydsPharmacy has well-trained staff who are available to give you the best advice for your personal quitting needs. LloydsPharmacy colleagues have received over 17,000 hours training in smoking cessation and other areas to provide year-round advice.
Keeping you safe in store
During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic we are working hard to ensure that our pharmacists can provide services, care and advice to you safely. Here are some of the things we are doing to keep you safe.
We're providing the service in line with the Government guidance on social distancing.
Our colleagues will be wearing PPE.
We will be aiming to limit the time you spend in contact with our pharmacists in our consultation room.
We will clean the consultation room before and after every appointment.
Our other services
Explore our in-store health services